Book Review of “The Only Book You Will Ever Need on Branding”.
Share this Post
Branding is no doubt one of the most important aspects of eCommerce content marketing. Why? Because branding gives you something to stand for. In turn this allows your eCommerce web content to stand out so customers can find you.
But how complicated can branding be? Can you simplify it?
The Only Book You Will Ever Need on Branding by Michiel Maandag and Liisa Puolakka is a short book which you can read in a little over an hour, and it aims to help you develop a branding strategy without bogging you down in details.
Note: The Only Book You Will Ever Need on Branding is a long title. So from now on, I’ll abbreviate it to “TOBYWENTKAB”
The first half of the book consists of info on how to define your brand positioning. This is a formula that helps you to define your brand category, your target target audience, and so on.
The book then helps you with some of the following things:
- How to name your brand
- What to do if you can’t get your brand as a domain name
- How to create a logo
- How to choose a colour
- How to tell your brand story
- How to create a slogan
The book finishes off with info on topics like:
- Brand consistency
- Word of mouth marketing
- How to use advertising
- How your actions should be.
- I can’t deny that TOBYWENTKAB simplifies branding, and will give you a lot of valuable and useful info in a small package.
- The authors write the book with personality. This is clear from the beginning when you read their short bios.
- This personality extends in some of the amusing illustrations throughout the book. These put forth the points in a visually engaging way.
- Not only does the book give you examples of good branding, it also give you examples of bad branding. It isn’t afraid to criticise well known brands like Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Porsche, Volvo, Land Rover, Philips, Google, Firefox, Red Bull, etc.
I Didn’t Like:
- It’s clear the authors have experience and knowledge when it comes to branding. But I find it hard to justify the price of this book at $10.48 (Kindle edition, at the time of writing), considering it only took an hour to read.
- For some topics, you may need to go into a bit more depth (e.g. choosing a colour, telling your brand story, creating a slogan). So it isn’t necessarily “the only book you will ever need on branding”
Can TOBYWENOB Help You with your eCommerce Content Marketing?
A good eCommerce content marketing strategy requires a good branding strategy. And TOBYWENOB simplifies branding for you.
Also to Consider:
I also found Sticky Branding by Jeremy Miller to be a highly informative book on branding.
Conclusion: Should you Read TOBYWENOB?
I think TOBYWENOB does a fantastic job of explaining branding and simplifying things without the jargon. But for the Kindle price tag of $10.48 (at the time of writing), I find it hard to justify.
On the other hand, maybe you’re strapped for time. Maybe you only want the essential info on branding and don’t mind paying the price. If so, this book will give you the most amount of information in the least amount of time.
Share this Post
Have you read The Only Book You Will Ever Need on Branding? What did you think? Let me know in the comments section below.